Sunday, February 8, 2009

When Waste Isn't...Sort Of

I'm not much of a drinker since I'm such a lightweight. In fact, I'm so easily made tipsy that it is embarassing and I'm quite careful if in the company of others.

Despite that, there is one beverage I do like. I realize that some of you may start giggling and ask when I became a 1960s era loose woman, but my drink of choice is champagne and orange juice. I don't know why but it always feels like a fizzy juice I used to get from the soda fountain when I was young.

Considering how little I drink though, buying a whole bottle will mean 3/4 goes into the trash. So recently I started buying those little 4 packs. One four pack lasts me 3 months or more and costs about the same as one bottle.

And yes, I do buy the cheaper stuff. Who can tell when it is in calcium enriched Minute Maid Orange juice?

Mostly I recycle the bottles, but I have used some for various herbal mixtures that I use for gardening, bathing or the like.

So even though it is less efficient to buy things in tiny four packs than in a single large bottle, I guess waste is relative when you use so little of something. Of course, if I was really being sustainable I would be making the stuff in a vat in my bathroom, but hey...maybe someday. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The only fizzy stuff I drink is Alka Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine (orange flavored of course)
and occasionally I will have a root beer. LOL!
I do make a non-alcohol julep out of orange juice, pineapple juice, apple juice and lemon juice that is delicious, but not fizzy. You can find that recipe on my blog under "recipes."
I'm glad you found a practical alternative to your favorite drink.
Cheers!