Saturday, May 30, 2009

State of the Garden - 27 to 30 May 2009

Okay, so I'm late. I actually loaded all this up on the 27th but not posting until the 30th. I just get so busy!

But enough of that. Want a tour?

Me Holding a Lettuce...yes, Lettuce, before I stripped the good leaves and composted it.


My Nasturtiums are now over 6 feet long


So many tomatoes, I expect ripe ones by next weekend


Some tomatoes are huge


Purple cauliflower that is ready to harvest today, the 30th (see Mr. Dead Cabbage Worm there to the left?)


My Onions are way taller than last year. This is just below my chest level.


And this is what a patch of onions looks like from above. What a mess!


I'm harvesting peas daily. They are super sweet and yummy.


All my lettuce is huge. Not bolted though. Still tender and sweet. I'm pulling them all now though since it is only a matter of days at this point.


All my squash are blooming nicely. This is marrow.


And here is me while almost mended from Strep (so I look like doodoo) visiting the garden. Note I'm completely covered because of the antibiotics making me burn in the sun. What a dork!


More tomatoes...(this one has 17 tomatoes growing on this little branchlet)


And more tomatoes. This is my Super Fantastic from saved seeds. I think it will be ripe first.


Blueberries coming on (and birds getting more than me!)


My second year parsnips in bloom for seed saving.


Corn and beans.


And a view of the jungle. It doesn't look quite so pretty, just very large.
Things are moving along! When I look back at last year, this is far and away a totally different experience. Tomatoes are several weeks ahead and everything is much, MUCH, bigger than last year. I'm not sure what I did, but the plants are just huge and overly abundant. I actually pruned some of the larger green tomatoes off and had some fried green tomatoes. It just didn't seem right to have 30 tomatoes on one plant so early.



16 comments:

The Old Gray Egg said...

This drives me crazy! Temps here in Northern Wisconsin are supposed to get down to 30 F tonight. I can't even think about putting out plants yet. Do you ship produce? Want to barter for snowballs?

ChicagoMike said...

I agree with The Old Gray Egg. Jealousy is amock in my mind! The garden looks great.

Parsnips huh? How do you cook them?

Christy said...

Your garden is so far along! I have tiny baby tomatoes but nothing like you have. And my blueberry plants were eaten by the goats. No squash flowers here yet either. But I do have peas to pick, thanks for reminding me!

Hickchick said...

I am green with envy! My peas are just leaflets, and my tomatoes are still in transplant pots on the deck-ready to whisk them into safety and the hint of a freeze.
Kris
PS You do NOT look like a dork :)

Amanda said...

You're so cute. :) I'm wondering if I gave up on my cauliflower too soon... but my tomatoes look like yours! Peas are done, got our first squash the other day, and the corn's 4-5 feet high!

We've got blackberries ripening, but I'm thinking I need to put in blueberries for next year! Fortunately, we do get blueberries in our CSA box. Don't let the birds get them all! ;)

Judy T said...

Oh, the jealousy bug has gotten to me as well. It all looks lovely. And good for you for covering up in the sun- at least you remembered- I didn't think about it one time a few summers ago and even though I had been out in the sun a lot before then, on antibiotics I got burned in just half an hour. Not fun.
Judy

Unknown said...

Don't you feel like a kid in a candy store?! I love peeking around looking for the first signs of something good.;D

I finally got around to planting part of my garden this week, and my husband got his 20 lbs of sweet corn planted. After we eat and put up what we want the rest is donated to needy families. We've been doing that for years and it's a lot of fun.

Ruth Trowbridge said...

I too am jealous! You will look back at this garden as one for the record books! You must have a magic fertilizer, lol. Enjoy your success, we are all so happy to share it with you. Peace for all

Anonymous said...

Very envious of your success, and so happy for you! Cauliflower already, wow. My lettuces are huge too, and sadly some of the less-tolerant ones have bolted, but many are still doing well and are consumed regularly :-)

Carolyn Evans-Dean said...

Wow! Your garden is leaps and bounds ahead of mine. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Unknown said...

Christy I don't actually remember how I ended up here....a link to a link to a comment??? LOL I am glad I did though! Great stuff here!

I'm in Central Texas. We started a bit early but are now enjoying the bounties of our garden. Matter of fact we are already canning! (My first time except for the tomato's)
Ours are coming in strong too... shouldn't be much longer now for the first lovely "mater" to come off the vine!

GAB said...

wow, we just passed our frost date and have been dealing with so much wet and cool that nothing is thriving except the lettuce and raddishes.

next year cold frames and cloches.

Chiot's Run said...

Everything looks FANTASTIC! Your tomatoes look great.

ATW said...

WOW!!! Christy your garden looks awesome!! I have not been able to keep up with all of your post Like I want to. But Its a pleasant surprise to follow your progression this year from sowing, to growing to harvest. Its exciting.

Sylvie, Rappahannock Cook & Kitchen Gardener said...

what a nice kitchen garden Christy. Enjoy the tomatoes. Looks like some canning might be in your future... grin...

Sylvie
(in the Virginian Piedmont/Mountains)

gsanford said...

Your plants put mine to shame. It's an uneasy feeling having stuff grow so anemically and prematurely bolt. I keep wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I just want to see one major crop start to grow to maturity. I do have some peas with flowers on them so maybe they will be the first.