Monday, May 19, 2008

Mulberries are coming fast!

Now that it has been conclusively determined that I do have a Mulberry tree, I have been collecting them so I can make stuff. What that "stuff" will turn out to be I don't yet know. It could be jam or it could be....something else I don't know of yet. Anyone got any good recipes?

As for right now, I can collect from 1 to 2 cups per day of fully ripe ones. I admit to eating them all the first couple of times but since then, I've been good and am washing gently, de-stemming them and then freezing them quick laid flat on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, into a freezer bag those tiny nuggets of deliciousness go.
Now is there anything better than a perfectly wrinkled Beagle leg...I think not! Just look at that little non-ankle!

1 comment:

The Unusual Farmchick said...

I use my mulberries just like blackberries. I make a pie mixing mulberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Add an oatmeal crumble topping before baking then some fresh icecream to a hot slice of that pie..so very YUMMY! I always freeze mulberries from our trees so I can make these pies well after berry season. Everyone loves them and can not believe I used mulberries- after all- there just bird food right? LOL.
I place them on a cookie sheet, stems and all, freeze then dump in a smaller freezer bag. I premeasure by cups so I can just grab a bag to dump with the other frozen berries straight into the bowl.